Friday, May 2, 2014

Routines

As it turns out, I had a pretty good routine going.

For a month straight, with only a very few exceptions, I was going to 6 am yoga (7 on weekends) and then 4:30 pm yoga after a nine (or eight) hour recovery between classes.  This worked out exceptionally well for several reasons.  I had enough energy for my morning class, then home for breakfast, lunch around noon, and still plenty of time to not have a full stomach for the afternoon class, after which I would have dinner at a descent hour.

The schedule flowed well, though many days much of my recovery time was spent sleeping.  I have been attempting to curtail just how much I sleep between classes with life making other demands.

I mention this all today, because, after staying up too late last night writing my blog post and cycling the laundry, I had the bright idea this morning of attending the 9 am class instead of the 6 am class.

This was a mistake.

Those three hours had a huge impact on my energy level in the morning.  I was doing yoga when my body had become accustomed to having breakfast.  Practicing fourteen hours after I had had dinner the night before, my energy crashed after the standing series, and my whole practice was thrown off.  I was still able to make attempts at every set of all the postures, but only just barely.

Thinking that was bad enough, I then had my usual nine hour recovery time cut to six, and my afternoon class was markedly more difficult.  Practice today over both classes was one of my more difficult days so far.

All that said, I was still able to go zipper dancing tonight at Friday Night Fusion, which was fantastic, as always.  So, even on one of my more difficult days of yoga, I still had the energy to go dancing for three hours.  And, as hard as it was, today was a good day.

Moving forward I will be paying closer attention to trying to stick to my routine.  The three hours of mediocre sleep wasn't worth the hardship in my yoga practice.  Thankfully, I still have my streaks of triangle pose and consecutive classes with attempts at every posture going.

You might be thinking that I am up way too late again tonight writing my blog post (I am), but dancing and catching the last few seconds of the Trail Blazer game was worth it, and in just a few moments I can change over the laundry and get some sleep so that I can be up bright and early for 6 am yoga tomorrow.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment