Monday, May 19, 2014

Rainbows

When I started this blog, I wrote daily because I felt like I had a lot to share.  Then I wrote daily because that was my routine, and I was still able to put something together every evening.  My routine has been thrown off the last few days, and without anything pressing to share I took a few unexpected days off from blogging.

Seems for a couple of days my readers were content, but going on day three, I had multiple people ask about my blog today and why there haven't been any new posts.  I can assure you, I'm not even halfway done with this blog yet.

I would catch you up on the last couple of days and the progress I have made, but I think I will leave that for my day 50 post tomorrow.  Oh yeah, did I mention that tomorrow is the top of the mountain for my hundred day challenge?

More on that tomorrow.

Today felt like a really rough day.  I made the choice to sleep in, skipping my usual 6 am class in favor of the 11 am.  I knew full well the consequences, but at 2 am my brain was willing to take that risk.

I sat out more sets than usual today, and the room seemed hotter.  In the morning class I don't think the door was cracked or the fans turned up even once.  Despite some use of the fans, the afternoon class did not feel any cooler.

When I walked into the afternoon class the hot room was almost full, the only remaining spot in the front row was near the window, a place I try to avoid on sunny days like today because the direct sun can make the heat feel just that much warmer.  I didn't start directly in the sun, but as the sun drifted lower in the sky I was soon enough laying directly in a rectangle of light like something straight out of Citizen Kane.

In savasana this afternoon I kept placing my water bottle next to my head to block the sun from shining directly in my eyes.  It was a mind game that I was losing, not unlike early in my practice several weeks ago laying under an unmoving fan.

Midway through the floor series I glanced over at Roy.  Roy being the guy who paced me for the end of the thirty days and just kept on coming back, racking up a very impressive forty-eight classes in thirty days.  Roy had a wide grin across his face, a contagious smile that I could not help but emulate.

Smiling is a fantastic strategy against the various mind games you may encounter in yoga practice, especially if you are trying to hold in triangle pose for those last few seconds.

I found out after class what he was smiling about, and it turns out it was me. He said he looked over and saw me laying directly in the sun, and that he could see steam rising off of me.  The part that made him smile?  He swore he saw a rainbow in the rising steam.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment